- Anti-fungal: The presence of camphor and camphene in this essential oil gives it an antifungal property. This oil is capable of inhibiting fungal infections both internally and externally, and gives relief from fungal infections like dysentery, skin diseases, Athlete’s Foot, or dermatitis. This property is one of the causes behind its use in skin care products.
- Anti-microbial: The components in sage essential oil which give protection against fungal infections also provide protection against microbial infections too. Therefore, you can protect small wounds or cuts from developing irritating or potentially dangerous infections.
- Anti-bacterial: This oil is equally useful at countering bacterial infections, since it kills bacteria and inhibits their growth in the body. This property can also be used to heal ailments like bacterial infections in the ears, nose, throat, eyes, genitals, urethra, colon, intestines as well as on the skin and in wounds.
- Anti-oxidant: This is perhaps the most valuable aspect of this essential oil and the reason behind its extensive use in anti-aging and skin treatment products. Antioxidants, as the name suggests, act against the oxidants or free radicals in the body, which are the main causes behind aging. These antioxidants slow down aging and prevent symptoms of aging like wrinkles, sagging skin and muscles, reduction in vision and hearing capabilities, malfunctioning of the brain, memory loss, degeneration of tissues, macular degeneration and nervous disorders.
- Anti-septic: Since it has antimicrobial, antibacterial and antifungal properties, it serves as an antiseptic for wounds, surgical incisions, post natal injuries, ulcers, and sores.
- Anti-inflammatory: It reduces inflammations on the skin, inflammations due to fever, and the entry of poisonous material in the blood stream. It also reduces the effects of excessive intoxicants and narcotics, ingestion of excessive salty or spicy food, influence of very hot winds etc. It helps cure inflammations in stomach, intestines and excretory tracts too.
- Anti-spasmodic: This property of sage essential oil is useful in treating all problems that arise from spasms, including pain in the stomach, chest and intestines, as well as coughs, convulsions.
- Cholagogue & Choleretic: Both of these properties mean the same thing, which is a substance having that promotes the discharge of bile. This helps in digestion, soothing the stomach and improving the functionality of the whole digestive system against inflammations caused by excessive acids.
- Cicatrisant: This property helps eliminate scars, fat cracks, post-natal abdominal crack marks and after-spots left by boils, pox, and sores. This also helps in quick healing of wounds and incisions.
- Digestive: It acts as a digestive medicine in case of indigestion by facilitating the decomposition of food by promoting secretion of bile and gastric juices and by inhibiting microbial growth in the digestive system, which interferes with the digestive process.
- Emenagogue: This essential oil regularizes menstrual cycles and helps to relieve obstructed menses. This oil activates certain hormones, such as estrogen, which helps bring about clear menstruation and gives relief from problems like headaches, nausea, weakness, fatigue, depression, mood swings and other associated symptoms of periods.
- Expectorant: It can give you relief from coughs, colds, and infections in your chest and respiratory tracts. It also provides relief from congestion that results from the common cold.
- Febrifuge: Sage essential oil reduces fevers by fighting infections and reducing inflammation from fevers.
- Laxative: It facilitates excretion and eliminates constipation by promoting the discharge of certain fluids, as well as stimulating the intestines.
- Stimulant: If all the properties of this Essential Oil are to be described with a single term, then ‘Stimulant’ would be the appropriate one. Most of the properties it displays are different expressions of this property. It stimulates the brain, nervous system, liver, spleen, circulatory and excretory systems, thereby activating and optimizing them.
- Sage oil is like any other essential oil – it must first be diluted with a carrier oil before use. An unadulterated essential oil can cause skin irritations.
- it is used through a vaporizer, Sage oil can also be applied topically but with much caution to avoid adverse effects.
- should never be taken internally without the supervision of an experienced health care professional.